Thursday 10 January 2013

5 more sleeps....

5 more sleeps and I am off to Ottawa for a couple of days of training at the Canadian Cooperative Association before traveling to Uganda.  Based on our itinerary, it'll take almost a day and a half of flying to get there.

Heidi Hyokki is to be blamed for this.  I attended her presentation on her CCA coaching trip to Malawi.    Truly inspired by her experience, I followed up with Heidi to get more information about the program.  To make a long story (or application process) short, I applied and was accepted into the 2013 CCA African coaching program.

In October, I learned that I heading to Uganda and would be partnered with Vanessa Elliot from Servus  Credit Union.  And in late December,  we found out that we would be visiting Savings And Credit Co-ops (SACCO) in Pangyang and Esuri in Northern Uganda.

To prepare for the experience, we were encouraged to seek out volunteers from a complimentary CCA program who had just returned from the same region.  They shared their experiences about traveling in the country, their accommodation, toilets (or specifically the lack thereof) and the food.  Needless to say, it's going to be quite the experience.  Based on the conversation, I plan to use my suitcase space for food and purchase clothes along the way.

One of the biggest challenges that I am struggling with is leaving my wife, Tara, and our daughter, Jordan.


It's going to be hard to be away and not see them at the end of each day.  Tara is really supportive of my participation in this program but it's going to be difficult for her too.

Heidi hooked me up with one of her previous coaching partners from Ireland; he was nice enough to write me and share his experience and how he dealt with it.  I have now invited one of JJ's teddys on the trip with me - on one condition - he had to promise not eat all of the food in my suitcase on the flight over.  He promised but had a funny look in his eye... I am not sure he meant it.

Well - I had better get to bed.  Will try to write more this weekend as I pack and prepare.

1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    I am so thrilled for you to be making this "journey", you will be forever changed by this amazing experience and so will all the Ugandans that you will meet (in a GOOD way). Just remember the advice my first year Irish coach and friend , Damien, shared with me.....

    "As long as you leave one 'ting' of yourself on this journey that will help them, then you will have done your job"

    1 Rich'ism!!

    Go buddy GO!!!! Safe journey and I can hardly wait to read all about your adventure!

    Heidi Miller Hyokki

    ReplyDelete