Monday 14 January 2013

The weekend before....

While I had a good weekend, my heart is gradually sinking.  I am leaving my family in a few short nights.  Doubt begins to creep in - Am I doing the right thing?  What have I gotten myself involved in?  What if something happens to me?  What happens if something happens at home while I am gone?

All of these questions seemed to have logical answers when I accepted this post.  Now, while I busy myself making preparations, I worry that I haven't made the right choice.

I have been busy saying "see you in three weeks" to friends and family.  Many have asked me why I am going - why I am not putting my family first and staying here to look after them?  I wonder if they see me as selfish for wanting to participate in this program.

I know why I am doing this.  I want to help - to share my knowledge with others so that they can grow and prosper.  For me this trip is about becoming a better global citizen, becoming engaged with people who are trying to make a difference in their own communities - to see what daily life is like in a different part of the world.

Since learning that I was going to Africa, I have spoken with many people who have been there - all say that Africa will leave an indelible mark on your soul.  They say it will leave you feeling simultaneously ashamed of how easy life is for Westerns (in comparison to the life of an average African) and inspired by the power of the human spirit and its resolve in the face of such adversity.

This is going to be an emotional experience.  When I signed up I thought leaving my family (especially my (almost) 3 year old daughter, Jordan) was going to be the most challenging.  So far, it has been tough.  It remains to be seen if that is the most challenging part.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Rich!!

    I was brought to tears when I read this post, thank you for sharing this with us!

    I remember being called "selfish" for going to Africa.....Rich.....you are NOT selfish; you are giving back and sharing and those are such good character strengths!

    This will be a very emotional experience for you....one that will stay with you forever and make you a better husband, father and friend. Enjoy every second as trust me it will just fly by.

    Safe journey my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich: Leigh-Ann was unable to post a comment on your Blog so I am posting this on her behalf ~ Heidi

    *****

    Rich, I have not had the opportunity to travel to Africa to help out but you should know that what you are doing inspires me.

    I can understand what a challenge it will be to leave your family for a period of time but just think about all the African families you may be able to help by sharing your knowledge to help improve the credit union in their community.

    You should also be very proud as your daughter will grow up learning about your experience and how her Daddy travelled to a far away country to make a difference. You will open her eyes to how she can grow up to be a global citizen.

    Wishing you safe travels and many special memories
    Leigh-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Peggy Clark:

    ******

    Hi Rich, I was both moved and inspired by your post in preparing for your journey to Uganda. Although difficult to leave loved ones for this time, I’m sure the experiences you will share with them will make your family unit both stronger and better. Your efforts and guidance to the credit unions and people you touch in Africa will also leave a lasting impression.

    Congratulations for taking on this responsibility and can’t wait to read about your adventures! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete